HOW DO I REGISTER FOR A LICENSING EXAM?
The information below has been taken from the Insurance
Licensing Candidate Handbook (Sept. 2004), available from
both the Ill. Dept. of Insurance and from PearsonVue, the
testing service. If you wish, you may download and print
the 16 page document from PearsonVue at www.PearsonVue.com.
Scheduling a Pre-Licensing Exam
Call PearsonVue toll-free at 1-800-274-0402.
Their phone center is available weekdays from 7 a.m. until
10 p.m., Saturday from 7 a.m. until 4 p.m. and Sunday from
9 a.m. until 3 p.m. Call at least 2 business days prior
to your requested test date.
or Fax a downloaded registration form to 1-800-274-8920
Fax at least 4 business days prior to your requested date.
or Register online at www.PearsonVue.com.
Register online at least 4 business days prior to your requested
• Indicate the exam you wish to take (i.e., Life
and Accident/Health parts I and II, or Fire and Casualty
parts I and II)
• 2) Provide the necessary demographic data (legal
name, home address, SS#, DOB, daytime phone number).
• 3) Select the exam location, date and time.
• Exams are given daily Tuesday through Saturday at
most of the N. Illinois sites. If at all possible select
a morning test time as most people are more alert in the
a.m. hours! (Local locations include: Chicago on N. Michigan
Ave., Schaumburg, Oakbrook Terrace, Springfield, and Schererville,
WHAT IS THE FEE FOR TAKING THE TEST?
The testing fee is $103 - and must be paid at time
of reservation! You can pay with credit card, debit card,
voucher or electronic check. You no longer pay at time of
Receive and record your Confirmation Number _______________________,
which you will need at the test center.
WHAT ARE THE TEST CENTER PROCEDURES?
• Arrive at least 30 minutes prior to assigned
• Check in and provide the Confirmation Number.
• Provide two forms of signature I.D., one of which
must be photo bearing.
• Provide other information as needed.
• Your picture will be taken.
• NOTE: If you fail to appear at your assigned exam
time, or if you show up without proper identification, you
will lose your $106 registration.
WHAT ARE THE EXAMINATION PROCEDURES?
• The exam is now given on a PC.
• Each exam begins with an on-line tutorial, designed
to make candidates comfortable with the PC. The tutorial
does not reduce your exam time, but you are given up to
45 minutes to get
comfortable with the testing device.
• Each section of the exam is timed and you cannot
return to a section after the time has expired:
License Section Questions Time Allowed
Life General 60 85 min.
State 39 50 min.
A & H General 60 80 min.
State 47 55 min.
Property General 60 80 min.
State 36 55 min.
Casualty General 60 80 min.
State 42 55 min.
• Within each section, you have the ability to change
answers, mark answers for later review, review skipped questions,
review the entire section and review specific questions.
• Scratch paper is provided.
• If you bring a calculator it must be approved by
staff. No programmable calculators or machines with a printer
will be allowed. It is a dark room so avoid any solar powered
• Breaks do not stop timing of the exam.
• Candidates are not allowed to leave the exam center
• We suggest that you complete each section of the
test in 3 passes: first time through, answer all the easy
questions, second time through, answering those you left
open and that require a minute or two of thought, third
time through answer those hard questions that you left unanswered
the first two times through. These may take a bit longer.
If you don’t know an answer take an educated guess!
Remember, once you leave a section, you can’t go back.
• Additional help with the PC is available from test
• Be prepared to answer an optional Exit Survey. Your
responses do not affect your score or results in any way.
Exam Scoring and Reporting
• Upon completion, your exam will be scored in seconds.
• Passing will require 70% or better scores on each
section of the exam.
• All documents are photo bearing.
• Failing candidates will receive a diagnostic of
the General portion of the exam.
If you pass the licensing examination you will be given
a license application and instruction sheet by PearsonVue,
the test administrator. Carefully read the instruction sheet
and retain for your records. We have no way of providing
you a duplicate copy.
If you fail the exam, PearsonVue will provide the results
and the procedures to arrange for another exam with PearsonVue.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR MY LICENSE?
There are two way to apply for your resident license
1: Apply electronically:
2: Apply via paper application, download at this site: http://www.nipr.com/non_resident_paper_licensing.htm
• Complete the ORIGINAL license application received
from National Insurance Producer Register Web Site (NIPR),
• Send a $180.00 license fee (payable to the Director
of Insurance). Your pre licensing proof of completion results
must be sent by your education provider and received by
the Division of Insurance prior to the license being issued.
• Mail the license application and fee to the Producer
Section, Illinois Division of Insurance, 320 W. Washington,
Springfield, Illinois 62767-0001. Do not mail reproductions
of your license application. They will only accept the ORIGINAL